Thank you for booking a session with Sarah May Photography! Below you will find information to help guide you through your photo session from prep-to-final images. If you have any questions, at any time, please, feel free to contact me.
I look forward to working with you!
your family's story
Shy smiles. Tousled hair. Cheek kisses. Bear hugs. The reminders of love, laughter, and lives shared. Authentic stories of your family, wonderfully told in beautiful custom portraits. I'm a storyteller and these are the images I create.
For me, photography is an unconditional labor of love, and family portraits hold a very special place in my heart. It's why I love capturing the unguarded, fleeting moments that hold such special meaning for the families I photograph. I create timeless images that you will be proud to display in your home everyday, as happy reminders of moments you will cherish forever.
what to expect
My sessions are causal and relaxed - definitely not rushed. You and your family set the pace and tone. During your shoot, I'll combine gently posed shots along with capturing spontaneous, unguarded moments as they unfold. I also keep the goals we discuss during our pre-consult in mind.
Preparing For Your Session
- Avoid "the grumpies" by making sure your little ones are well rested and fed before the session
- Take any unease out of the session by talking to your kids about how much fun the session will be, and that their "job" is simply to be themselves
- Pack a bag with drinks, snacks, wipes, favourite toys and any needed props or clothing accessories
- As a parent, don't worry about what "could happen". Kids are kids. I'm very easy going, and as mentioned earlier, I let your family guide the session. Sometimes kids are calm and quiet, sometimes they yell and run. It's all part of being a child. The more relaxed you are, the more comfortable your children will be. We're going to have fun!
what to wear
Start with Colour
The easiest place to start wardrobe planning is with your colour palette. Think coordinated, not "matched". Begin by choosing a mix of complimentary neutral colours, punctuated with pops of a brighter accent colour on individual clothing items and accessories. Or go for a range of shades within your chosen palette individually for each member of your family. Your goal is to create a pulled together, coordinated look without being overly "matchy" or "uniformed".
Create Interest with Layers and Accessories
Using layers and accessories is a great way to add visual interest and create different looks for each family member during your session. Simply adding or removing items such as sweaters, vests or jackets can give you a quick wardrobe change between photos.
Timeless not Trendy
While the latest fashion trends can be great for everyday wear, taking a more classic approach to your wardrobe choices is always best for portraits. Choosing your timeless favourites - pieces that rarely go out of style - will ensure that your photos don't have a dated look next season.
Your Home Plays a Role
You should also consider where your photos are going to be displayed in your home. For larger canvases or framed prints, perhaps intended for the focal point of a family room, consider wall colours and overall style in the room as you plan wardrobe choices.
- Haircuts and styling are best scheduled a week or two before your session. This will allow time for hair to grow out for a more true to you, natural look.
- Try to avoid large, bold logos or sports team graphics on apparel. They can be distracting in an image.
- Be sure your shoes fit the look of your wardrobe
- My main tip - be comfortable! If you feel awkward or uncomfortable in your outfit, you are less likely to relax during your session and this can show in your photos.
For wardrobe examples, please visit my Pinterest page for ideas.
after the session
Sit back and relax! I'll be hard at work editing your images and choosing the best ones to present to you. I know you're excited, so I'll provide you with a sneak peek on Facebook & Instagram (or privately by e-mail) within a few days. You can tag yourself and share with friends and family.
Within 2-3 weeks after your session, you will receive an e-mail from me with a link to your password protected gallery. Digital images are high resolution and may be printed as large (or small), with as many copies as you would like.
frequently asked questions
Do you travel outside the Truro area?
- I sure do! I love going for a drive and seeing new places (it's also a way to get great unique images). Please inquire about travel fees to the location you are considering.
What if it rains?
- I monitor the weather pretty closely. If there is a good chance of rain on your session date, I will be in contact with a day or two before to make alternate arrangements. Weather in Nova Scotia can change quickly, so there are (very rare) times that a session is rescheduled at the last minute.
I have no idea what to wear... can I pick more than one outfit?
- Of course! As long as we are at a location that has an area to change, you can bring up to 2 extra outfits along. This adds great variety to your photos.
When do we make payment? What methods do you accept?
- The $50 session retainer is due at the time of booking to secure your session date and may be paid by credit card or Interac email transfer to email@example.com This will be applied to your session package. The remainder of your session fee is due the day before your photo session. If you prefer to pay by cash or credit card in person, you may do so at the beginning of your photo session. If this is your preferred method of payment, please let me know before hand. All travel fees must be paid the day before your session date.
Can I print photos myself?
- Absolutely! Digital images are high resolution and may be printed as large (or small), with as many copies as you would like.
Do you photograph events (birthdays, anniversary parties, family reunions, etc)?
- Most definitely! Sit back and enjoy your party - leave the photography up to me! Please contact me in advance for rate and session information.
Have another question? Please, feel free to contact me!